Where others see insecurity, Friends of Burke Mountain sees a once-in-life-time opportunity to transform wrongdoing arising from securities fraud into a legacy of economic opportunity for the Northeast Kingdom and many, many years of outdoor recreation and the true joy and friendship for which Burke is known.
Friends of Burke Mountain is a nonprofit advocacy organization representing:
- Local businesses, property owners, and condominium associations
- Season pass holders, schools and students who use the Mountain for recreation, and all those who’ve called Burke Mountain “home” for generations.
Burke Mountain, treasured by skiers, snowboarders, and mountain bikers for generations, was placed into receivership in April 2016 following a $250 million alleged securities fraud. Friends of Burke Mountain is dedicated to representing key stakeholders during the receivership and helping fulfill the vision of Burke as a thriving four-season resort.
And for good reason: Burke Mountain is the engine that drives the local economy: One job on the Mountain creates up to three jobs in the community. (U.S. Department of Commerce).
Who are we? What are our goals?
- We’re skiers, shredders, bikers, hikers, outdoor lovers, educators, and students.
- We’re stewards of the Mountain we love.
- We’re committed to seeing Burke through this difficult time.
- We’re working with and holding the Court-appointed receiver accountable.
- We believe Burke can and will be successful during the receivership.
And, we’re ready to help find a new owner of the Mountain to create jobs and develop a sustainable four-season resort with deep ties to the community.
We’re committed to the long-term success and financial viability of the Mountain for its employees, for local businesses, and for all who hope to ski, shred, bike, and hike the Mountain for many years to come.
We’re working closely with the Court-appointed receiver, the Mountain’s new management company, Burke Mountain Academy, Kingdom Trails, the staff at Burke Mountain, and local, state and federal officials. Our common goal is to make Burke a premiere four-season resort that creates jobs and economic opportunity while respecting its unique and beautiful setting.
- We partnered with Kingdom Trails to convince the receiver to open the Mountain in the summer of 2016 for mountain biking, bringing back jobs and recreational activity months ahead of schedule.
- We partnered with Burke Mountain Academy to obtain a $240,000 grant to build a high-speed ground lift as part of a $2-million plan to obtain the U.S. Ski Team’s designation of Burke Mountain as an Official U.S. Ski Team Development Site.
- We have raised more than $6,000 to support the Ski Team Project at Burke to help create jobs and economic opportunity on and off the Mountain. Please consider making a contribution to our campaign.
- We raised more than $6,000 for Kingdom Kids, a Vermont non-profit foundation dedicated to the enrichment of the lives of children residing in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont through skiing, snowboarding, and mountain biking as well as other outdoor recreational activities.
- We’re working with the receiver and the management company to make transformative snowmaking and winter season infrastructure repairs and improvements.
- We are building a nonprofit platform to give back to the Northeast Kingdom by addressing issues such as pre-K education, college, and career readiness and making direct grants for emergency relief to members of the community.
How you can help:
You can be a part of achieving our vision.
Friends of Burke Mountain, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. Contributions are tax deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law.
Friends of Burke Mountain would like to thank Herb Swanson for his generosity in sharing his wonderful photos of Burke Mountain. Please visit his website to see more of his work.